Airport Crashing Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacFan78, Nov 21, 2007.

1. MacFan78 macrumors newbie

Hi there, new member but I've heard this is the place to go for help with odd Mac problems so I hope someone can help!

Since updating to Leopard and installing the 10.5.1 update if I'm downloading in any significant volume over the airport connection of my Core 2 Duo Macbook it keeps causing the whole machine to lock and a box appears in the middle of the screen in various languages advising me to turn the laptop off and restart.. When I view the crash report it mentions airport several times.. Only seems to happen when Airport is being used extensively.

This is the first time I've had any kind of instability on a Mac so if anyone else has had this problem since installing Leopard on a Core 2 Duo Macbook and knows how to fix it please let me know as it feels like I'm using a Windows machine at the moment as I dont know when its going to fall over on me! lol

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. makasin macrumors member

haha that happened to me the other day. Is it Azureus? or is it Airport?
    I dont know if i had azureus running at the time or not, but when i clicked the airport icon, i got a KP too. (kernel panic)

4. Veil macrumors member

It's the Aiport.

It's completely unusable to be honoust. Having the same problems, but not even with large files. When I'm working on a site on FTP, I update files all the time, but they're about 1-100KB, so nothing special.

I can upload about 10 files, and poof, Airport is gone, and 10-15 sec later a complete freeze with the grey box. Unworkable. Tested it on many different wireless networks, everywhere the same problem.

When I'm not using the Aiport, no problems. Hope there comes a fix soon, because I'm really fed up with my Mac crashing 20 times a day :mad:

5. MacFan78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Occasionally Airport stops picking up my wireless connection until I go to select it manually, the same laptop always found my router straight away on bootup under Tiger.

I'll give Transmission a try instead of Azureus to see if that makes any difference to the amount of kernel panics I get, thanks guys.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, Azureus is an issue that people have ran into.

You are not the only one -- extremely common issue.

Then try... worth a shot.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306879

7. chris.niziolek macrumors member

I have tried logging everything that Azureus is doing at the time of a kernel panic, and from examining the logs at the time of a panic, it does not seem like Azureus is the true cause of the problem, but it is certainly something buggy within the com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros driver. Hopefully apple will release an update for this bug soon.

8. MacFan78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gave that a try too and when I rebooted Airport found my network automatically again without me having to manually select the menu. :D

And as a side note as I was never sure about the transparent menu bar on Leopard, after booting into safe mode where the menu bar is solid (albeit an off white/grey colour) I've decided I like the transparent bar now, lol

9. MacFan78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Next time I rebooted I had to manually select my network again as it wouldnt connect to it automatically.. :confused:

10. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I'm experiencing airport problems similar to these as well on both my 20" 2.4Ghz Aluminum iMac as well as my 17" 1.83Ghz White iMac. I don't think I've experienced it with my 12" iBook. I hope Apple finds a solution to this problem because it's extremely annoying and it seems like quite a lot of people are being affected by it based on reading the Apple Discussions boards.

11. makasin macrumors member

damn man, I hate to admit this, but Leopard is buggy as hell.
    My Front Row randomly freezes, Airport doesnt work reliably, my friends dashboard doesnt work at all. I just installed Leopard after getting my computer repaired (its been having issues for as long as ive had it. 2 major repairs in a short period, mobo replaced, then memory) so now im trippin whether its a Leopard bug im experiencing, or my comp is stil fuxxored. Hmmm. Bummer, hopefully 10.5.2 will come out soon LOL:D

12. MacFan78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes me thankful the only problem I have with Leopard are these weird airport issues given some of the problems other people are having with it..

13. makasin macrumors member

ya its kinda unfortunate/disappointing.
    After all the hype, it feels kinda Vista-ish in its backwards compatablity and bug issues. I havent had this many software problems since installing Vista on my old XP notebook. Went from high stability and decent features, to unstable with more features but prettier.
    Its kinda a shame Apple didnt wait till all (most) of the issues were ironed out before releasing such a highly anticipated/hyped product. I guess we will just have to wait till the 10.5.x update that makes it as rock solid as 10.4.11 was.