Airport disappeared in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacAodh, Dec 4, 2007.

1. MacAodh macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I've been trying to instal leopard on my girlfriends computer for the last two days now and having quite bad luck. I've finally managed, however, I've now managed to loose the wireless. The airport card is nowhere to be found.

It is not in the menu (top right), not in network setup and when i go into system profiler it says "no information found" beside the airport tab.

Has anyone experienced this before or what in good gods name is going on? Thanks a million all

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Check that the airport driver is installed i believe it is here /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort.kext

Do a safe boot, hold down shift as the computer starts up. Then log in and wait for a little while say 30 seconds and then reboot. Clears up things like this.

3. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

No luck. The driver is there but the safe boot didn't work. This is driving me nuts... Can you re download the driver or anything? It's just like i don't have a wireless card anymore

4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I did an "upgrade" on my panther iMac which went fine, until I did a software update in leopard (the first update, I think it was something with keychains or something like that)

As soon as the software update was done, the wireless no longer worked, AT ALL. The kernel wasnt loading the kext, and loading it manually just didn't work. I ended up doing a clean leopard install :(

5. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

Did it work? I had to do several instals before it would instal on the macbook. The problem, i thought, had to do with the hard disk, but now that the airport's disappeared I'm not so sure. Was going to go out and buy a new hard disk but not so sure now

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What were the symptoms of the troubled installs?

My airport went once but it was resolved by a safe boot.

7. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

It's all good!!! I reinstalled the operating system once again and that's seamed to do the trick... Thanks for the help