Airport Disaster!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mattthemutt, Jun 25, 2007.

1. mattthemutt macrumors regular

mattthemutt

I live at three houses part time (divorced parents), and each one has an Airport Express hooked into a high speed internet connection, with three different ISPs. One house has a DHCP ISP, (Rogers Cable Internet), one has a PPPoE ISP (Bell Sympatico), and the other has another PPPoE ISP (Inter.Net). Each of these houses has Macintoshes, and one of them (Rogers Cable) has PCs & Macs. All of them use 802.11b/g compatible mode, and all of them have good signal strength. As I type this, I am right beside one of the Airport Express base stations, and the PPPoE connection keeps dropping out. This is the same as at the house with Bell Sympatico. The numbers that indicate the amount of time the internet has been connected to the PPPoE service provider show that the internet disconnects, as the numbers in the Finder bar disappear. With the DHCP connection, the internet just ceases to function.

I'm guessing that this problem is either something with the wiring in this city (the houses are in three distinct neighborhoods, or a problem with the Airport hardware in general.

What could the problem be?

Thanks,

Matthew

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, the connection is maintained by the modem. The Express is merely the router of this connection for your Macs (and possibly PCs). It's difficult to start troubleshooting what are effectively three separate problems at this stage, but if I were you I'd make a call to the ISPs and ask if they can see anything wrong at their end. You'd be surprised how much they know about your setup. :)

3. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

Yeah, I've checked out the ISP, and they say nothing is wrong.

I guess that means that it's either a problem with the wiring, or something I haven't explored?

I suppose I'm the only one having this problem?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew