Airport Disconnected?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by theironist08, Jan 14, 2011.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

So I recently upgraded to SnowLeopard. All went well, but then my airport got really weak and started to drop before it eventually refused to work. So I had to use ethernet cable during my exam study period.

What happens now is, it detects the networks, then when I enter the WEP, it takes about 20 seconds and then I get... 'connection timed out'. This is becoming SO FRUSTRATING! I felt like smashing the screen.. I need this issue resolved asap. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the snowleopard upgrade but, I read somewhere that the airport can become 'disconnected' and you need to open up your macbook and reconnect it? Can anyone shed any light on this please?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Is Snow Leopard up to date, i.e. have you installed all updates?

3. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mean just going to software update and checking that? If so, it's all up-to-date! Anything else?

4. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

Have to bump this sorry but SOMEONE must have the answer to this..

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Most of the time this is actually caused by the router. Have you tried connecting to other wireless networks? It could also be the antennas are no longer connected, and you are just noticing. Kind of like the video card issue my parents have, that only appears in Snow Leopard, due to the fans not kicking on early enough, so I've had to over ride the fan control. If the machine is relatively new, see if Apple Care could help you diagnose the problem, or a local computer store with people who actually know about Macs.

TEG

6. theironist08 thread starter macrumors regular

hey, cheers for the reply, yeah ive tried it in college and it didn't work either. it only happened when i upgraded to snow leopard. i think the antennae hav become disconnected. how do I go about reconnecting them????

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Take it to an Apple Authorized Repair center and have them check. They can make sure everything is in working order.

TEG