Airport Disk - 8hrs to copy a 1.8GB file. Seriously?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ss957916, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I have a HDD plugged into my brand new Airport Extreme and it says it'll take 8hrs to copy less than 2GB of data. Not sure how to work out that data rate, but that's slow.

Is this normal?

2. crewrules101 macrumors member

backups are normally slow over wireless unless you are using 802.11n. if you want to speed things up try using an ethernet (RJ-45) cable

3. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am using N - I was sold this Airport Extreme by Apple to allow me to save data on a larger HDD wirelessly, so using a cable isn't an option.

If the data rate of N is 144-300Mbps, why is it transfering at 65kbps?

Attached Files:

4. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've restarted my Airport and Mac and now it says it'll take 3mins.

So what was wrong?

Attached Files:

5. Shownarou macrumors regular

Doesn't look like anything's wrong now. :)

#1 way to fix strange problems=restart

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

wireless N claims to have more range than wireless G but personally I tested the top of the line Linksys, Apple and D-Link routers all their simultaneous dual band models and my linksys wrt54gl was at least as good and often better than any of them. The N routers were especially bad if there were any walls in the way. In fact unless I was in the same room as the router the speed was horrible, a few rooms away in my bedroom the speed of the WRT54gl was actually often faster lol. I bought the linksys router to stream video to a media center extender (also linksys) and the bandwidth of the N routers was not good enough to do it unless the router was directly beside the extender...so I decided to use an Xbox and just hook it up with ethernet instead lol