Airport Disk - does it work with iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ss957916, Nov 29, 2009.

1. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Currently, I have my music stored on my MBP's internal drive but, when importing videos, I first load them onto my external drive, select "Do not copy to iTunes Library" and then import them to iTunes. This means all the storage-hungry videos are on an external drive.

If I get an Airport Extreme and use Airport Disk, will I be able to do the same? Have one iTunes library but have music on my MBP whilst a couple of TB's worth of video streams to my MBP over Airport Disk?

Thanks

2. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Amazingly, I've asked this question, in one form or another, four times.

And never had an answer.

Seems the people on this forum aren't as expert as they'd like to believe.

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Don't see a problem as long as when you're playing whatever media off the internal or the external, you point iTunes to the correct directory. This may require you to change this in the preferences area.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    No need to get snippy. ;)

Yes, it works, I do it everyday. :)

5. ss957916 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you think I can have one iTunes library with my music stored on my MBP and videos on the Airport Disk?

6. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Yes. The AirDisk appears as an external drive to your laptop. One thing that helps is to add the AirDisk to your Login Items under System Preferences -> Accounts. That will cause the drive to mount when you log in.

It really helps your video playback performance if you take the time to set your AEBS to the wireless channel that gives you the best performance.

7. cube macrumors G5

He asked about splitting his library in TWO LOCATIONS according to content type, not just placing the whole library wherever,

8. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

He's already got the two locations issue figured out with the existing external drive. I used to have my library set up this exact way, but with an AirDisk as the external drive.

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yep, that is exactly what I do. I keep my music on the MBP internal and then I have an external HD hooked to the AEBS where all my movies live. Then I can stream my movies to my :apple:TV. :)