Airport Disk - does it work with iTunes?

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Currently, I have my music stored on my MBP's internal drive but, when importing videos, I first load them onto my external drive, select "Do not copy to iTunes Library" and then import them to iTunes. This means all the storage-hungry videos are on an external drive.

If I get an Airport Extreme and use Airport Disk, will I be able to do the same? Have one iTunes library but have music on my MBP whilst a couple of TB's worth of video streams to my MBP over Airport Disk?

Thanks

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Amazingly, I've asked this question, in one form or another, four times.

And never had an answer.

Seems the people on this forum aren't as expert as they'd like to believe.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Don't see a problem as long as when you're playing whatever media off the internal or the external, you point iTunes to the correct directory. This may require you to change this in the preferences area.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
So you think I can have one iTunes library with my music stored on my MBP and videos on the Airport Disk?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
So you think I can have one iTunes library with my music stored on my MBP and videos on the Airport Disk?
Yes. The AirDisk appears as an external drive to your laptop. One thing that helps is to add the AirDisk to your Login Items under System Preferences -> Accounts. That will cause the drive to mount when you log in.

It really helps your video playback performance if you take the time to set your AEBS to the wireless channel that gives you the best performance.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yes. The AirDisk appears as an external drive to your laptop. One thing that helps is to add the AirDisk to your Login Items under System Preferences -> Accounts. That will cause the drive to mount when you log in.

It really helps your video playback performance if you take the time to set your AEBS to the wireless channel that gives you the best performance.
He asked about splitting his library in TWO LOCATIONS according to content type, not just placing the whole library wherever,

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
He asked about splitting his library in TWO LOCATIONS according to content type, not just placing the whole library wherever,
Currently, I have my music stored on my MBP's internal drive but, when importing videos, I first load them onto my external drive, select "Do not copy to iTunes Library" and then import them to iTunes. This means all the storage-hungry videos are on an external drive.
He's already got the two locations issue figured out with the existing external drive. I used to have my library set up this exact way, but with an AirDisk as the external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.