Airport: Do I understand "Bridge Mode" correctly?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rikers_mailbox, Mar 25, 2009.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to design a home network for a friend and I want to be sure I'm understanding "Bridge Mode" correctly...

There is an existing router that provides a wired Ethernet network to 2 computers (one of the a MacMini, shown in the pic). If an Airport Express is connected to one of the router's ports and set up in "Bridge Mode" then the wireless network will simply be an extension of the same network to wireless clients. Is that right?

In this setup, the original router provides the internet connection and doles out IP addresses (DHCP server). The Airport just passes IP addresses and internet to clients connected wirelessly. In addition, any computer connected to the network (via Ethernet/router or wirelessly) will be able to access AirTunes and Print server connected to the Airport.

Is this right?

I drew a picture...

Attached Files:

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes that is correct.

you don't have to turn off the old wireless, i have the same setup as your picture but the express is serving a N network (have 2 wireless my_network_N from the express and my_network_G from the linksys)

my laptop is connected to the N wireless, and i can stream audio and print to an express that has wirelessly joined the G network

3. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

The AExpress is an older a/b/g model. And the Linksys wireless network (as it is now) is unreliable. The iPhone has a hard time staying connected for some reason. Maybe the firmware needs to be updated.

I thought I'd just disable the Linksys wireless and have the AExpress serve up the wireless.

4. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, I'm leaning towards this setup because iTunes will be running on the MacMini, and so the AirTunes traffic will all be via Ethernet. The Wireless will be free of that bandwidth hog.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

as far as the firmware goes, look into dd-wrt. It is a Linux based firmware that runs on several different routers.
    I've been running on my wrt54g for a couple years, and it's been rock solid. Make sure you check the version # before you go for it, there are several different versions all with the same model number just depends on when they were made.

It adds a lot of features that aren't available on the standard firmware.

6. blackfx35 macrumors member

What are some of the features that it adds that you are using???

7. waw74 macrumors 68030