Airport doesn't have ISP address?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fubar65, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Fubar65 macrumors newbie

Ok I have a problem. The past couple of weeks I have had my macbook I have been able to get online no problem, whether it be from home or Cal State San Bernadino. However today I get to class and try connecting to the internet, and it just isn't working. When I open my network config and all that, it says my airport card doesn't have an ISP address. I tried restarting and shutting down and nothing is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

This could be a number of things...
    You're school's router is having a problem...
    Your network settings are wrong...
    Any number of things.

Is anyone else in your school having the same problem?
    Do you see any bars on your Airport Status in the Menu Bar?
    When you click on the Airport Status icon in the menu bar, do you see your school's router listed and if so, does it have a small lock icon to the right of it?
    In the Network Pane of System Prefs for your Airport, what IP address do you see?

3. Fubar65 thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as I could see, other people were on the internet and not having the same problem as me. I have full signal it just isnt connecting to the internet. My school is listed there, it has a checkmark next to it but no lock icon.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Does your school use a proxy and if so do you have that configured in your Network settings?

5. Fubar65 thread starter macrumors newbie

No idea what that is, but on monday when I came all I had to do was start up safari and I was online. Now, all I get is safari saying I cannot connect to the internet.

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try making a "New" location in System Prefs -> Network Pane. Name it "School" (or whatever you want). Set it to use DHCP and click apply. Then take a look to see if you are assigned an ip address other than 169.xxx.xxx

7. Fubar65 thread starter macrumors newbie

still nothing, I tried it and it won't connect.

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok,

Do these steps and in this order:

1. Reset the SMC
    Shutdown the Mac. Remove all power including the battery. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. Re-attach the power (if you are using it) and battery.

2. Reset the PRAM
    Reboot and immediately hold down the cmd-opt-p-r keys and keep holding them down until the third bong, then let go. The system will boot normally.

3. Safe Boot
    Reboot, and as soon as you hear the bong, press and hold the shift key until you see a spinning gear on the grey desktop. You can then release the key. This boot does a lot of housekeeping so it takes much longer (5 - 10 minutes), but eventually you will get a login screen with the words "safe boot enabled" in red. At this point, hit the back arrow key and select restart for a normal boot.

4. Once booted, run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions on your boot volume.

5. Go to the Airport Status Icon in the menu bar, click and select you school location. See if it joins the network and check to see if you have a valid ip address in the Network Pane for the Airport.