Airport dropping wifi connection in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gfrancetich, Sep 5, 2009.

1. gfrancetich macrumors newbie

It seems that every now and then my wifi will quit working. If I turn airport off and on it fixes it but I never had this problem in leopard. Anyone else experiencing this or have a solution?

2. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

My wifi works but I lose connection every 3-5 minutes and the only way to get it back is to turn airport off and then back on. It's really annoying me. Never had any issues in Leopard and so far I haven't seen any difference in SL that make me not want Leopard back.

3. gfrancetich thread starter macrumors newbie

Hopefully they'll fix this soon... Like 10.6.1! :D

4. phantomic macrumors member

phantomic

Mine seems to be working fine, but I did a clean install of snow leopard not sure if that would make a difference.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I've been seeing this happen with a TON of machines: MacBooks, MBPs, iMacs, Mac Mini... dropping connection again, and again, and again.

It's only happened since upgrading to Snow Leopard, so something's GOT to be fixed.

6. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I did a clean install of Snow Leopard.

Internet works perfectly via ethernet, but drops very regularly on wifi.

If I go into bootcamp, wifi works perfectly on the same Macbook, so it's definitely a Snow Leopard issue.

I've never had any significant problem with OS upgrades before, but this time I may have to reluctantly return to Leopard until the problem is fixed.

7. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

Only had my macbook since mid-September, but under Leopard it was perfect. Not a single dropped connection.

Since the upgrade to SL the connection has dropped a few times each day over the last few days, so I can only assume it's the software.

8. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

It seems my problem may have been solved. It has only dropped once since the update for SL came out a few days ago. Maybe, if you haven't already, update the software.

9. Acsom macrumors regular

Try changing the way your router assigns IP addresses from dynamic to static. That's worked for most people.

10. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I've had this issue since Snow Leopard released. I have the 10.6.1 update, and still having the issue. I shouldn't have to change anything on my router, it's a bug with Apple. This router has 6 Wifi devices on it, and only the Mac gets dropped. I have also not changed anything on the router for a year, and the problem mysteriously began after the Snow Leopard upgrade.

Apple needs to fix this. I notice that I cannot immediately reconnect, but I must wait a few seconds to reconnect. It will immediately drop me otherwise. I'm using a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 using Tomato firmware.

Again, been using it unchanged for a year, and been using Tomato for 2 years without a single issue.

I had this issue since I installed Snow Leopard because I first ran into the problem while restoring my backup.

11. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

me too.. problems dropping wifi every now and then. turn it on and off and it works. its bs. FIX IT!!!

12. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

every hour or 2, my connection is dropped for about 60 seconds (or until i turn off/on airport), then it reconnects.

this sucks the most for games, where you get disconnected from the game if you lose a connection for 45 seconds.

but if the game detects airport off for even the smallest moment, it just disconnects you from the game.

13. jameshsi macrumors newbie

jameshsi

Me too!

Hi!
    It seems my MBP got the same problem too, I just bought this MBP 7 days ago, it's installed with Snow Leopard and I restore data and Apps from my old Macbook on Time machine.

The Wifi connection got lost 3~5 times per day, when it lost connection, I can not connect it right away, sometimes just wait a few minutes and it re-connect back, very odds!!

I did have upgrade to 10.6.1 too, but the problem still there.

if anyone knows how to fix it, please post here, if anyone rebuild the whole system and solve this problem, please post to let us know too.

14. applevx macrumors member

Me too! like all the other people here :(

I think it's kind of driver issue same as display card driver not working well.

It will be solved in 10.6.2 like apple always did.

Let's just wait for 10.6.2. ;) :apple:

15. jameshsi macrumors newbie

jameshsi

So, All we have to do is just wait ?
    Is there any people got this problem but solved by change WIFI router ?

16. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

My wife and I are both having this problem with our Macbooks. My Dell laptop connects to our wireless router just fine, but I have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get our Snow Leopard machines to do the same. As others have said, this was never a problem in Leopard. This is absolutely ridiculous, and Apple needs to issue a damn fix for it ASAP.

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I honestly don't think that the router is the problem in most people's cases. These same machines connected just fine under Leopard, and non-OS X machines are connecting fine as well. It's Snow Leopard that's the problem.

18. Doeloe macrumors newbie

Wifi solution?

I read in another forum that the problem could be with WEP encrytion. I changed it to WPA and till now it looks fine allthough the speed is overal slower but it's constant without drops. Can everyone advise with problems what encrytion is used?

19. wildbob macrumors newbie

Sorry, I don't have the problem, but for reference from a working system I thought i would post my setup. The iMac and MacBookPro are both running 10.6.1 and with 10.6.0 they also worked ok. Both were Snow Leopard upgrades over Leopard.

computers(connection): iMac(n), MacBookPro(n), HP-Windows laptop(n), PS3(ethernet), Kids visiting(windows laptop with g)
    Router: Apple Airport Extreme
    Radio modes: a/b/g/n
    Channels: manually set to 9 (2.4GHz) and 149 (5GHz)
    Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal
    Wireless Options selected: Use wide channels

I never get drops with the iMac or HP-Windows laptop, they are on the same floor and about 20 feet from the router. The HP-Windows laptop occasionally roams a bit farther from the router but again never had a drop out. The MacBookPro is all over the house and normally on a different floor, and only about once a month will I see it lose its connection. I suspect after a sleep and wakeup and being farther from the router. Airport OFF and ON and it reconnects and works fine for the rest of the day. It doesn't happen enough for me to worry about it.

..Bob

20. califguy macrumors newbie

about the dropped connections

Have you tried posting in the apple discussion forums for this issue ?
    What is the model and firmware version on the Access Point ?
    -Cg

21. kneelbeforezod macrumors newbie

It may have even been me on another thread that you read, and yes, switching from WEP encryption to WPA2 encryption on my router completely fixed this problem for me. I had exactly the same symptoms as the people above; the wifi dropouts started the day I installed Snow Leopard.

It's clearly a Snow Leopard problem, and likely to get fixed in a future update. Snow Leopard, for whatever reason, doesn't want to play nice with WEP.

Of course if switching to WPA works for any of you, then there's no reason to ever go back to WEP since WPA is more secure anyway. Hope this helps.

22. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

for me it actually was just a coincidence.
    the router set up page was slow recently, so i just restored the thing, and now everything is working normally

23. mac mac macrumors newbie

I am have same wifi problem after upgrade to SL from Leopard, this is how I fixed my problem, herewith 2 solutions both prove to me works.

Solutions 1 - Change my AP from Netgear to Mac airport extreme.

or

Solutions 2 - Wipe out disk, and re-install SL.

Hope it works for you too, Solutions 1 is easy, but a little bit costly.:)

24. stevemiller macrumors 65816

this SL bug is driving me nuts. sometimes turning airport off and on isn't even sufficient, and i have to physically log out and back in as well. it always shows my connection as being full strength when these dropouts occur. and all my other devices (iphone, powermac tower) retain connectivity.

hardware: late '08 mbp 2.8ghz
    router: linksys wrt54g2 with wpa2 security

now that i think of it i don't think i've ever adopted an os this soon after its release, but either way SL is certainly the most disappointing os x experience i've had. :(

25. tardinha macrumors member

I doubt it'll be fixed...

There have been airport related issues since 10.5.7!

I'd either get the connection drop, or the whole computer freeze. Every update since 10.5.7 to 10.6.1 do the same thing. Sometimes it would freeze while still in the installation process (like the part where you put in your personal details)

Anytime I disable to airport, and use the ethernet it works 100%...

I have three partitions on my laptop. One for 10.5.6, 10.5.8 and 10.6.1, so I could make sure it wasn't my imagination. All three are fresh installs, with ONLY the software updates installed...

Oh well... 10.5.6 is nice and stable :)