Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

israelh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
This is my first post here because I'm about to throw my MB 13" across the room.

I have been using this MB OSX 10.5.5 in the same spot all summer and have been connecting to a Belkin wireless connection with no problems. It's the wireless connection at my work. I have also been connecting to my home network on a linksys router.\

A couple of weeks ago, my airport card just decided out of nowhere to drop connection to the work wireless. I had changed nothing and the router moved nowhere. It works for about 10 minutes then looses signal. It is not able to connect or find the network unless I move 15' closer to the router.

Every other network I try within range doesn't work either. However, once I leave work and am home or cafe, etc... I can get signal no problem.

Does anyone know what's wrong? It just dropping out of the blue is killing me!

Thanks in advance!

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Don't throw the poor MacBook across the room. You might wanna throw the room across the room instead.
Some quick thoughts: how about third party interference? If all your problems are in one location, and it's not any one device in that range, maybe something new in the environment is screwing up the works.

Try iStumber, or another wifi utility to identify noise/interference, signal strength, etc..

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Is anyone using a cordless phone nearby? Those things wreak havoc with wireless networks, because most of the newer phones run at 2.4 GHz.....the same frequency as 802.11.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Yes interference is a likely possibility. One reason I haven't got a new
"dect" phone. My current one is 5.8ghz.

If you get an N router you can pick the 5ghz or vice versa as necessary.
Also, you can try switching channels in your wireless preferences.

israelh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Don't throw the poor MacBook across the room. You might wanna throw the room across the room instead.
Some quick thoughts: how about third party interference? If all your problems are in one location, and it's not any one device in that range, maybe something new in the environment is screwing up the works.

Try iStumber, or another wifi utility to identify noise/interference, signal strength, etc..

Yeah. It says the signal strength is at 39-40% with 9% noise. As I got closer the strength went up to 76% and noise stayed the same. I should be able to browse with 40% strength I think, but it just drops everything.

israelh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Is anyone using a cordless phone nearby? Those things wreak havoc with wireless networks, because most of the newer phones run at 2.4 GHz.....the same frequency as 802.11.

Oddly enough, no. I even changed the router frequency. Still, no luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.