AirPort Drops Out (University Wireless)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kolax, Aug 14, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

My University has a wireless network which covers the whole campus. It requires authentication via PEAP, so I have to enter my username and password to access it.

However, AirPort seems to drop the signal every few minutes, then reconnect. Pretty annoying, since I might be typing a post, downloading specimen papers etc and it'll get cut off.

There is 3 stages at which it connects:

Stage 1
    It will connect and gain an IP address like shown, and internet will work shortly after it does this. It displays this for about 5 seconds.

[​IMG]

Stage 2
    It seems to switch to this, with a timer showing how long I've connected, and internet still works fine.

[​IMG]

Stage 3
    It drops the signal, and AirPort assigns itself an IP address - no internet access.

[​IMG]

This happens literally every few minutes, sometimes less. During the connected time, the internet works flawlessly. What gives?! It works perfectly fine on other Windows machines.

2. lsmeteor macrumors newbie

Weird...
    What mode are you using for your airport? n only? (2.4 GHz) b/g compatible? I used to have mine using b/g compatible (2.4 GHz). Since my phone is also using the same frequency range, I would lose the connection everytime the phone was in use. For some reason, in a phone vs airport extreme match, the phone always wins.
    I changed it since to be using the n only mode (5 GHz). Problem disappeared.
    Try changing it in AirPort Utility -->Manual -->Wireless tab to see if that makes any difference.

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Maybe the campus WiFi is 802.11g....

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

It will be G - having an N only network would cut off the majority of students wanting to connect. Either way, G or N, it doesn't really matter for me.

I want to know what is causing this - since I'm sitting next to friends in the library who are using their laptops and having no problems, yet I'm dropping out every 2 minutes.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Missed this one. The OP's talking about the MB's Airport, not an Airport router.

For the OP: Is the uni using any kind of timed access, MAC (not Mac) registration or any other filters/rules besides PEAP Auth? Yours is acting more like a VPN connection than simply WAP issues (I know that's not the case). Check w/ your helpdesk folks & escalate.