Airport dual band issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rick98761, Apr 8, 2010.

1. rick98761 macrumors 6502

I recently upgraded to the airport extreme dual band II. I then moved my old extreme (N with gigabit) downstairs. It joins the network that the dual band is running to supply internet to my xbox, game PC, and ps3. The Dual band is running the newest firmware, 7.5.1 and the 5ghz network is very flaky. I have been forced to give the 5ghz a different name and use the 2.4ghz G band most the time. If I am on the 5ghz band my connection will just stop responding. Sometimes it work for an hour, sometimes for 5 minutes. Rejoining the network will make it ok again. Although last night I transferred 30gigs over the N network with no problem. It's not a distance issue since the problem is no better or worse whether I'm 2 or 25 feet away from the router. This is really driving me nuts right now. I just want to have one network setup and have the N devices use 5ghz and the G devices use 2.4 and not have to constantly worry about it.

2. rick98761 thread starter macrumors 6502

btw here are my readings from istumbler, no walls in between me and the router.

At 5ghz I get these: 44% and 13% noise
    at 2.4 I get: 50% and 13%

I am about 5 feet away from the router when I take these readings. Thats seems very low, no?

Maybe I'll go try and switch this out with another from best buy, see if that helps.

3. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Same Problem

I don't have a solution to your problem, so I am posting in hopes that you do get an answer so I can see it. I have the same problem I just gave up.:(