Airport: emergency please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omeletpants, Oct 3, 2010.

1. omeletpants macrumors regular

I'm sorry for the nature of this post and if I'm in the wrong section, but I have a bit of a problem.

My mentally disabled son is allowed to use the remote Mabcook to play one application. While we weren't looking he did something to change the settings and now the Airport icon is gone from the top toolbar. I have gone into applications and tired to turn on airport but am unsuccessful. In Airport utility all I get is a message saying: "Airport utility was unable to find any airport wireless devices".

Please help and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Under the Apple menu, select System Preferences, then select Network.

At this point, you should be able to select or see your WiFi network connection setup. If not, navigate to it via the Location drop down menu.

When you get to the location, and select AirPort, you should go to the AirPort page where you will see a checkbox option to "Show AirPort status in the menu bar". Select it. The Airport icon should now show in the menu bar. Be sure to press the APPLY button before navigating away from the page.

Note, if you wan to change it's location in the menu bar, you can hold the ALT + Command (Apple) keys down, then select with the mouse and drag the AirPort icon to where you want.

3. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Worked! Thank you and sorry for this post. This is a constant problem and he changed settings on computers and electronic devices constantly. I actually have a very nice story of something very nice that Steve Jobs did for my son because of this problem. We just don't have that fix on this computer

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why not create his own user account that doesn't have access to system preferences?

5. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm.....what would that restrict him from accessing? I assume that when the computer boots that two accounts would show up?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes. You could password protect yours and put none on his. You can then restrict his user account to whatever programs you want.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8235.html

7. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

THanks have his account set up. A couple more questions:

-The Macbook now has 2 accounts: my wife (admin) and my son (with parental restrictions). 2 areas he screws around with is the printer and turning airport on/off. I can't find a way to restrict his print and turning off airport without turning those off for my wife. Any ideas?