Airport/Ethernet connects, but can't ping router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Objectivist-C, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

My iBook G4 is having network issues. Since waking from sleep, it will connect to my Airport Extreme base station, but I can't access the web, or access the router from Airport Utility.

Things I've tried so far:
    *Rebooting
    *Resetting the router to factory defaults
    *Swapping out the router for a Linksys
    *Clearing out network passwords from Keychain

I doubt it's a hardware issue, as everything works in Tiger (booting from an external drive). Any other suggestions?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I assume you've also tried going into the network pref and deleting all the networks there, then re-adding the one you're trying to connect to. There's also the standard Reset PRAM/Open Firmware Reset/PMU Reset (a quick Google search or search of the forums will bring up instructions for all three of those things), which if you haven't tried you might as well (though since Tiger works it seems unlikely).

If none of that helps, you've tested pretty thoroughly and it apparently isn't hardware, so next I'd say try creating a fresh user account, just to check and make sure it's not something weird in your own prefs.

And if that also has the issue, time to try an archive and install of the OS. Extreme solution, but it sounds like you've tried everything reasonable, and the carpet-bomb solution might end up being faster than anything else.

3. 1ne macrumors regular

When it does that can you ping your gateway? If so then then try the next hop, your ISP.

4. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

Trashing Airport-related .plists seems to have fixed it, thanks guys.

5. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

This has happened a few more times, and I've realized the solution is to clear caches with Onyx. I'm now wondering what's causing the issue. Nothing informative shows up in Console, and I've done a surface scan / file system check of the disk. Any other ideas, apart from re-installing?

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

7. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. I can't recall the specific address, but Google said it was some kind of default range for DHCP problems.

8. Objectivist-C thread starter macrumors 6502

It's been happening with increasing frequency, so I'm thinking of trying a re-install.

More things I've noticed, if anyone has any insight:
    • Most commonly happens when waking from sleep, especially when Adium is running.
    • Also happens when there are a lot of applications contending for resources (CPU pegged, disk i/o bottlenecked, etc.)
    • After clearing caches and rebooting, I get firewall prompts asking to allow configd and mDNSresponder to access the network (turning off the firewall does not solve the overall problem).