AirPort Express 1st Gen Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SweeneyD24, Mar 26, 2014.

1. SweeneyD24 macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

Hey guys,

I've heard that this issue had been already addressed somewhere but I can't seem to find a fix for my problem.

I have this AirPort Express 1st Gen that I bought back in 2010. I used it to extend my network, create a network, for AirPlay, etc.. It was working great. For some unpractical reasons, I removed it from my network. I recently acquired some speakers and a bunch of audio devices. I wanted to use the AirPort Express mainly for AirPlay but thing is, the AirPort Express won't stay connected to my network for long. I plugged it, open AirPort Utility and after some time, the AirPort Express will appear and you get to set up the device. Everything worked. GREAT! ..but then it gets disconnected and I can't find it on my network. I had to reset the device, then it will appear again in AirPort Utility and I had to do the whole set up again.

I've heard that it may be related to the device's channel. Any way on how to change it?!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thnx again!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

if you connect your Airport Express (AE) to an existing wifi network, it automatically uses the channel your wifi router uses.

So, if your need to test another channel, you must change the channel the wifi router uses (you will have to access the router interface and change the wifi channel from there).

The AE will automatically use this new channel.

(can't you connect the AE to the router via Ethernet ?)

3. SweeneyD24 thread starter macrumors regular

SweeneyD24

I thought so too. I don't want to mess with the router's settings though.

Yes I can connect the AE via ethernet for a test, but don't have enough cable length to my room.
    I'm gonna try to set it up via ethernet and see what happens.

Also, i was thinking..say for example i set the AE to extend my network at home. Will the settings remain the same if i use it on another network or will it change and i'll have to set it up again for that network?

Thnx for the reply!

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You will have to set it up again for the new network (new SSID (network "name"), new password).