Airport Express 1st gen not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lhoffstadt, Oct 15, 2015.

1. lhoffstadt macrumors member

lhoffstadt

Hi, I have just bought an used airport Express 1st gen A1084 to try and play music using airplay.
    Im using El Capitan on my Mac Mini and the airport utility says the airport express is not compatibly, so I have used a Windows Machine and Im almost able to finish the configuration, its able to detect the airport, I can put a password on it, select the network, put the password of it and when Im going to finish it says.

"airport Utility was unable to find your Airport wireless device after restarting. The settings...

For background I have reset the airport every time I have tried to do this.
    It stars with a green solid light, and after I received this messages it changes to a blinking amber light.
    I also see a led on my router when I connect the airport but I after I press "update" on the airport utility wizard the light goes away in the router.

My router has WAP2 password.
    Im thinking this might be the issue, something with the password or the method of security?

Any recommendations please?
    because Im out of ideas.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@lhoffstadt Is the Express connected via Ethernet to the router?

3. lhoffstadt thread starter macrumors member

lhoffstadt

yes, and when I connect it I see a led lit on the router showing that is connection.
    the problem is only when is finishing the configuration when is trying to connect to the wifi after I have put all the information, that there is no able to complete and shows me the image I have upload early

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So do you want to have the Express connected to the main router permanently via wireless or Ethernet?

5. lhoffstadt thread starter macrumors member

lhoffstadt

any will work for me, wireless or ethernet, I only want to configure this airport to stream music :D

6. lhoffstadt thread starter macrumors member

lhoffstadt

issue solved, kinda, I was able to configure the airport only via ethernet, I think there is an issue with my router, a security configuration issue on the router that I need to check further, but I least I was able to configure it and has a steady green light and Im able to used airplay.

Thanks all.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad it is working now! Report back if you have any more questions...

8. lhoffstadt thread starter macrumors member

lhoffstadt

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No problem! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

10. lhoffstadt thread starter macrumors member

lhoffstadt

11. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

https://support.apple.com/en-hk/HT201669

It seems that the new Airport Utility no longer supports the 1st generation AirPort Express. You need the old version of the Utility to set it up, but unfortunately the new OS X seems not to support this old AirPort Utility.

12. lhoffstadt thread starter macrumors member

lhoffstadt

That is correct, I'm using El Capitán and when I try to used the airport utility I received that message that is says is not supported, so I have to set it up using Windows 7.

Thanks for the help