Airport Express: 2 printer Question??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tlinford, Aug 28, 2009.

1. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

I have been on a buying Frenzy this week, getting ready to start a University Degree next month.

I have bought a new MacBook Pro 13inch 2.53Ghz, wireless keyboard and mouse, new printer/scanner. :cool:

I went a bit more crazy and included a Airport express, which I set up to one of my printers, very easily. :rolleyes:

Not wanting to get too carried away I nearly plugged in a USB hub to see if I can communicate to 2 printers through the Airport!! hesitated - would that be ok - would it draw too much juice and blow the airport? :eek:

I wonder does any one know? :confused:

Question: Can I connect 2 printers to an Airport express and the same time? :D

2. SqB macrumors 6502

Airport express officially supports one printer at a time...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2421?viewlocale=en_US

However, that was written for the previous version so who knows. I have one that I could try it with, but I only have one printer so I can't check it out.

If you have all the necessary hardware, hook it up and check it out. You don't have to worry about voltages or overloading the USB. USB peripherals report their power usage and negotiate all that stuff. If you're using devices that need more than minimal power (webcams, hard drives, usb drink cooler) you will probably want a powered hub.

It's probably not going to work, but what the heck. The extreme, on the other hand, natively supports multiple printers/hd's.

3. tlinford thread starter macrumors regular

tlinford

Powered USB hub..

This was an old post, but I thought I'd add a resolution in case anyone else war thinking the same thing...

I put a powered USB hub onto the airport express, and hey, it worked!

You can have multiple printers, although I think it depends on the age of the airport express but it worked on mine .... I got a bit carried away and stuck a hard-drive into the Hub, key-this DIDN'T work --- shame --- you would think I would be content with 2 printers!!