Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donmadrid1500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I have an Airport Extreme connected directly to the internet and in another part of my house an Airport Express 802.11n. It is an extended network and works fine. (most of the time)

I have some tenants in another part of the house and they are getting a weak connection from the Base Station. I want to use an older 802.11g Airport Express I have lying around to extend the network into their area for stronger signal strength. A short term solution until I hard wire something there.

The thing is, the AEp 802.11g does not have an option for extending a network only joining a wireless network or participating in a WDS network.

The firmware on the unit is 6.3. The 7.6 firmware seems to be only for "n" wireless devices.

I set it up for joining a wireless network and plugged it in next to a laptop in the apartment...nothing. No boost in signal strength at all.

What am I doing wrong?

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
You're not doing anything wrong. To get that vintage express to extend the network it must be in WDS mode.

You'd probably have to put both of your express's in WDS mode to get it to work properly. WDS is the least best way to extend a network, as it sucks the most bandwidth.

donmadrid1500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
You're not doing anything wrong. To get that vintage express to extend the network it must be in WDS mode.

You'd probably have to put both of your express's in WDS mode to get it to work properly. WDS is the least best way to extend a network, as it sucks the most bandwidth.

Thank you for that info.

I'm setting them up now. They don't seem to want to play nice together.

EthanH

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2012
Airport Express 802.11g. How to extend network

I was trying to extend an Airport Extreme g version with a new Airport Express which is the N version. Apple tech support informed me that they are incompatible.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
I was trying to extend an Airport Extreme g version with a new Airport Express which is the N version. Apple tech support informed me that they are incompatible.
Agreed, WDS mode isn't supported by the N class units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.