AirPort Express acting up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DP812, Jan 1, 2013.

1. DP812 macrumors regular

I am at my wit's end, so any help about this would be greatly appreciated.

AirPort Express started acting up this morning, kept dropping connections and I tried to reset it. This apparently caused more problems because now, AirPort Utility keeps giving me "an unexpected error has occurred try again" medsages. This has been going on for over an hour now and the light on the Express is just a solid amber.

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Did you software reset or try using the hard push to reset button Then set up like it was a new Airport Express with default settings?

Anytime my Aiport has messed up this is what I've done and they worked great after.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Have you tried this reset:

1. Unplug power
    2. Hold reset button
    3. While holding reset insert power
    4. Hold for another 5 seconds then release

4. DP812 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried using the reset button and now when trying to set it up from scratch, AirPort Utility keeps giving me this "An unexpected error has occurred. Try again." BS. I've tried resetting again, I've tried restarting my computer, I've tried unplugging the Express, nothing seems to work.

justperry, I tried that as well. Same error.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This has worked for me in the past when nothing else did. Now I just leave it alone as my master bedroom music streamer as the AX's seem to be fickle when messing with their settings.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hm, there was one with similar problem just a day ago, same troubles.

Try to unplug it for longer time, like half an hour and try again, this does sometimes work on electronics.

If that fails too then I think there's a HW failure.

7. DP812 thread starter macrumors regular

Crap, looks like you're right about a hardware failure. Left it unplugged for about forty-five minutes, got some hope because it took longer than usual before the error came up but sure enough, it came. Time to make the two-hour round-trip to the Apple Store and get a replacement.