Airport Express + AdHoc + pdaNet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by micsaund, May 24, 2009.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Hi all,

I'm on vacation and rather than pay $10/day for the hotel internet, I finally jailbroke my iPhone and am getting some use from the data plan.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting an Airport Express to use with pdaNet, much like what I do with the Mac.

Basically, I need to create an adhoc network on the Mac, and then join the iPhone to that network for pdaNet to let me surf over the wireless data channel.

Will the new Airport Express let me do this? Can it create an adhoc network that I can join the iPhone to in order to use pdaNet?

Thanks!

2. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Hmm... no one else uses a config like I'm asking about?

I guess I'll stick with tethering to the iPhone directly for now.

3. ajthomason macrumors 6502

The way PDAnet works is to assign an IP address to itself and one to the client, I've tried adding other devices to the network and that just confused it to a point that nothing worked - it won't assign more than one IP address, so even if it is possible, it would take a lot of effort to get it to work through an Airport Express.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Seems like this would be possible... but not sure...

What about connecting pdanet normally to a macbook, then sharing the internet connection on the macbook from the wifi to ethernet, and then using the AE to distribute that connection? Would that work?