Airport express - ADSL question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MyAppleWorld, May 14, 2008.

1. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

Apple Airport Express Base Station (UK) ADSL Question

I have an Apple Airport Express base station (plug in wall type) which is currently connected to a cable

modem (Virgin, NTL) and its simply a plug and play - works off default settings.

I am about to move hom and will need to get ADSL, to be precise it will be ADSL2+

I don't want to buy a modem-router built in because I will miss being able to "Airtunes" and browse the

web at the same time.

Does anybody know the solution? I have seen a lot of posts which suggest the base station in conjunction

with a stand alone ADSL modem isn't the easiest to configure.

If i buy a modem-router e.g. Belkin, can I still use airtunes on the basestation and browse the web at the

same time? I think there is a way of connecting to other networks wirelessly with the apple base station

but what if my signal strength is stronger to the belkin? Will it pick up the "airtunes" speakers?

thanks for your help

Darren

2. bentoms macrumors regular

You should be able to connect your Airport Express to another Wireless Network through the Airport Utility.
    When iTunes searches for airtunes speakers it will search the network & if the device replies "You can use me as a remote speaker" then it will.
    (simple but this is along the lines of how it works).

Why don't you just use a ADSL2+ modem & connect it via ethernet to the Express & then use the Express as an access point?

BTW: Here is some old info on the Airport Express that I found from google after a 2 sec google.

3. MyAppleWorld thread starter macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

well i think i have tried this before and it doesn't quite work because i think you need to be connected specifically to the apple AP even though its part of the same SSID

can anyone confirm this

4. bentoms macrumors regular

it will work as long as the Airport is on the same subnet & your wireless routers isn't blocking broadcast/bonjour across your network.

5. BoffeyMac macrumors newbie

Yes

my current setup is a belkin ADSL Modem Router i then plug in the Airport Express into this via RJ45

works perfectly for me