Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evan0g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Long story short, my isp will double the speed of the internet in my apartment for cheap. Two of my roommates will pay, the third won't. Can I throttle just one persons internet on an Airport Express? I know how to do it on an Extreme but I sadly cannot afford one.

Thanks!

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
I dont think so, in all honesty I dont know of any that can.

You could do it using a router that has 'quality of service' (QoS) as this would in theory dictate who gets priority on the network so if you and you flat mate were online you would get priority but when it's jsut him/her he would have free reign.

Also in my experience it's a bag of mixed grapes as to its effectiveness as I tried setting it so my xbox has priority so I can still game when others use the internet though it can still be laggy but that may be just because I only have 2mb bandwidth:(

For reference, the AE DOES NOT have QoS as far as I know

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
You could do it using a router that has 'quality of service' (QoS) as this would in theory dictate who gets priority on the network so if you and you flat mate were online you would get priority but when it's jsut him/her he would have free reign.

No, that is not what the OP asked for.

They can get faster Internet if they pay more, and they want to restrict the one not willing to pay more to a lower speed. Your suggestion about QoS would in practice give everyone the higher speed.

evan0g

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
How about just changing the Network password so that the non-paying room-mate has no access??:p

Tempting....but he is paying his share. He just doesn't want to fork over the extra $9 a month.... Problem solved though. My ISP is sending me a wifi router. Basically I'll just create 2 wifi networks. One high speed, and i'll make the Apple Express broadcast b only instead of n so it's throttled.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Tempting....but he is paying his share. He just doesn't want to fork over the extra $9 a month.... Problem solved though. My ISP is sending me a wifi router. Basically I'll just create 2 wifi networks. One high speed, and i'll make the Apple Express broadcast b only instead of n so it's throttled.

A dual band network is a great idea; be sure to place the one he has access to as far from his room as possible......:p

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
$27 for faster internet speeds ... that's too much. I think your cheap roommate is right on this one.

Unless it's $9 and he's too cheap to chip in an extra $3/mo ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.