Airport Express Airplay Direct?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ethan028, Jul 12, 2014.

1. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Hm,

So I'm curious if the Airplay direct stuff in iOS 8 will work with Airport Express and other Apple devices besides Apple TV. I know it would be incredible to use my airport express as airplay direct so I can just airplay music to it when I get home..

What do you think guys?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Airplay is a locked down protocol. I doubt that Apple is going to expand it out to other devices. And if anybody tries, Apple will just tweak it and update their devices.

Don't count on it.

Most of the stuff in iOS 8 doesn't require Apples routing hardware (like handoff and continuity).

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Airport Express was the first AirPlay device on the market, back in 2004 when it was still called AirTunes. AirTunes and AirPlay has been reverse engineered so that other non-Apple and unapproved devices can use it. It's based on HTTP streaming and RAOP. For the Airport Express supporting iOS 8's new AirPlay Direct, it would be nice but I'm not sure. Doesn't it already have the basic ability to do that by making a wireless network that the iOS device connects to?

4. blindside217 macrumors regular

I doubt anything will change with the way Airplay works on the Airport Express. The changes for Apple TV are going to be when the Apple TV is updated to iOS 8 also. Like the previous person said before, if the Airport Express is creating your network then it is a direct connection anyway.

5. ethan028 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ethan028

It has that feature? I haven't seen a setting for it. I just thought it would be awesome if Airplay Direct will work with it in iOS 8 so it streams over Bluetooth or any other of the nearby protocols.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

AirPlay Direct doesn't stream over Bluetooth. It uses Bluetooth to make a WiFi connection over which it streams media. With an Airport Express, all you need to do is make a wireless network with it, join that network, and stream media to it. Or you could have the Express join your existing wireless network and still be able to stream audio to it when you are on the same network.

7. ethan028 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ethan028

My Airport express can make its own connection without internet?

8. Intell, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, that's a core feature of all Airport devices.

9. ethan028 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Sucks though because now I can't stream music while air playing.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have your Airport Express join a network. It's no different than having an Apple TV on the same network.