Airport Express + airplay + extender

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by webx1, Jul 2, 2013.

1. webx1 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I know there's a LOT of articles about that but I've not found yet an article that answers all my questions about the setup I want at home.

1- Can Airport Express extend my existing "NON-APPLE" wifi network ? If I want to obtain the best WIFI performance, I need to connect my airport express to an Ethernet cable ? What configuration on the airport express should I use ?

2- Can I use the airport express as an airplay destination at the same time it's extending my network ?

Thanks !

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can not reliably wirelessly extend a non-apple network.
    (you may be able to get it to work, but most likely not)

you can run an ethernet cable to the main base and extend that way.
    put the express in "bridge mode"*
    give the express the same SSID and security settings as your main base, but a different channel
    your devices will switch to the stronger base station as you move around.

as long as the express is connected to your network, you can use it for airplay.

*bridge mode is on the network tab in the new version of airport utility.
    or internet -> internet connection in airport utility 5.6

**if you can't run an ethernet cable, powerline networking is a viable alternative.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

4. webx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your answers, i'll read about it.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Sounds like you want Roaming, for that you need an AirPort Extreme or TC, then your expresses can be set up as extenders.

6. webx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi blueroom,

You're right, I want to do roaming (move to another AP when signal is not good enough). I'm considering buying a mac mini one day and only at that time a TC will be more than considered.

For the moment, I think that bridging (AP on different channel than the mail one) will be my only solution for the moment. I'm pretty sure it's easier with an airport Extreme or a TC.. :)

Thanks !