AirPort Express Airplay Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by noone, Jul 22, 2012.

1. noone macrumors regular

noone

Saying that I have multiple AirPort Expresses setup for use with AirPlay, can I play something different on each one using iTunes? If not, does anyone know of any software that will allow this functionality? Basically what I want to do is have a couple of rooms, playing different tracks (preferably playlists), but I want to control it from one computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Not from iTunes.

Perhaps someone with the new OS coming next week could tell you what is possible with the new Airplay options. Perhaps iTunes could serve one AEx and another app could serve another?

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I don't think it's likely.

But take a look at Airfoil by RogueAmoeba. It's better than Airplay. It still can't be used to stream from two sources at the same time, but perhaps you could stream say Pandora with Airfoil and iTunes with Airplay at the same time.

And given the cost, it would make more sense to get say the cheapest iPod Touches you could and use those instead of Expresses; they could each play different music and you could probably find some way to remote control them (like McLoud, or VNC on a jailbroken device), which is probably an easier task than finding a streaming solution.

4. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I just performed an experiment for you. I had music playing to two Airport Expresses from iTunes in my main account. I then fast user switched to a second account I have set up (music keeps playing in first account) and was able to send different audio from iTunes to a third Airport Express. Probably not the elegant solution you want but interesting.

The previous poster mentioned Airfoil, which is supposed to be very good. I would, however, wait and see what Mountain Lion allows in this respect.

Perhaps there is another music app out there which can tap into your iTunes Playlists and can be directed by Airfoil or ML to your second room.

Good luck!