Airport Express+Airport Extreme+802.11n???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mike12806, Mar 13, 2008.

1. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Okay here is my dilemma. I had an AEBS N-gigabit as a wireless bridge to my Linksys WRV200, so I could have two seperate G and N networks. The WRV200, to put it nicely, SUCKS, and so I took it out of my network and am using the AEBS only. However, I need to extend the range of my network, and would like to use the airport express (G only) as a WDS. If I use the Airport Express as an extender, does it effectively defeat the 802.11n advantage of the AEBS?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I use an Express and an Extreme in conjunction.

Set your Extreme to 5Ghz N only, use a lan cable from your express to your extreme. In my case, the express picked up on what I was trying to do, which was to bridge the network (not WDS). Works great. My N based devices connect at 300Mbps, and my b/g connect at their respective rates to the express.

If you want to extend them wirelessly you are going to be stuck with a mixed N/B/G network (2.4GHz only), which cuts your maximum throughput on an "N" device to 130Mbps.

3. mike12806 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! But if I wanted it to act as an extender for the AEBS-n, with WDS, it would be limited to the 54mbps G Airport Express, right? The only "N" devices in my house are my Apple Tv and my imac, which would both be connecting wirelessly to the express and not the extreme. I really wish they had an N airport express!

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Correct you are limited to "G".

There are rumors of an N based express coming out. The only problem I see creating a 5GHz N network with WDS is the lack of being able to connect anything that is not N. Such as an older laptop with a G based card, the iPhone (G based), etc etc etc.

5. mike12806 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I tried 5 ghz N to my imac and apple tv, but got constant drop outs on the imac, which I think are 10.5.2 related. And having the the AEBS and the Linksys bridged was causing drop outs, even on different channels. Just by chance, have you ever used OpenWRT on a router?? I was thinking of using that for my linksys to make it more stable.

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

No I haven't, but keep in mind that those other 'firmware's are for a specific set of Linux based Linksys devices.

7. mike12806 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah they have a version (beta? i think) for the Linksys router I have. Do you use Leopard with 5 ghz?

8. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yes, 10.5.2 w/ a Extreme @ 5GHz N for my iMac. No drop outs.

9. skorpien macrumors 68020

Sorry to hijack the thread, but was wondering if I could get a quick question in. I have a Sony VAIO CR220 running Vista that I want to connect to a wireless n 5GHz network. What setting do I need to change for Vista to see the network? Currently it only sees my network when I have it on 2.4 GHz wireless n or b/g/n

10. mike12806 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm....I think most N devices dont support 5ghz...I know apple does but I dont know about other manufacturers...check the wireless spec's on your card.

11. yocko macrumors member

cool that is very interesting. So an ethernet cable from express to timecapsule should dothe job? and then run the airport utility assistant again? Will the computers on the g network still be able to acces the timecapsule and the airtunes and stuff? will it still be one network?

which settings should i go for in the utility assistant...

thanx for your input