Airport Express airtunes configuration issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rglatter, Jul 10, 2008.

1. rglatter macrumors regular

Hey everyone,
    Im having some issues on configuring my airport express.

I can get it to show up in the airport express config utility, and set it up all the way through to get it to join my network. As soon as I put in my password and things the next screen that I click continue on, it then pops up and says This device and its network services will be temporary unavailable. I dont know if thats a good thing or not.

I click continue, and it writes the config to the airport express. And it does its reset thing, then I get the amber flashing lights.

I configure it by ethernet and by wireless it does not make any diffrence.

It is connecting to a known working wireless network and I dont know why its not showing up.

It does not show up as joined on my router.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

I had the understanding that the APX will only work in a WDS with the Airport Extreme (according to apple), however there were a few known routers that also work in this configuration.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Are you trying to use it in WDS mode or just connecting as a client? What kind of router do you have?

4. rglatter thread starter macrumors regular

I never thought it would be a problem with the router, I assumed it was the airport express.

Im running dd-wrt on the wrt54g, I found some instructions on there wiki. Thanks for jogging my brain a little bit, always helps to get someone else's view.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ok, so connecting as a WDS or just as a client? It makes quite a difference.

6. rglatter thread starter macrumors regular

I thought it was just the client mode, but maybe not, I'm trying this WDS to see if it will work.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Client mode is a lot easier to get to work because it'll work on any wireless router. WDS mode is so that the APX actually extends your wireless network (it's like a wireless repeater) and is only suppose to work with the Airport Extreme. It should work with your router and firmware though. Just not as easy to get to work.

8. rglatter thread starter macrumors regular

I tried WDS and it did not work, I then tried using the manual mode and set it to join my wireless network and it did not do it. I have tried on WPA and WEP and I made sure to use the $ in front of the hex key for wep.

Anyone have any other ideas? I would prefer to set it as client mode with WPA configuration if possible.

EDIT: I also tried wired connection and it didnt work either.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know this sounds strange but are you in an apartment?

I had numerous problems with getting my APX to connect while in my old apartment. And when it did it would often skip when playing music, then the connection would die. This was with me on an unused channel. There was just that much interference from everyone else's wireless routers. Although, in my house I have had no problems what-so-ever. Of course this is a very slim possibility I know.

Not sure what else to tell you though. It took me a few tries to get the configuration right for me when I first starting using an APX.

10. rglatter thread starter macrumors regular

yes I am in an apartment. I dont know why that would be an issue though. There are only 3 other wifi networks in range of me and they all are default channels. Mine is either on 1 or 11.

I have tried a total of 10 times to get it configured over a couple of days to get it configured.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I doubt that's your problem then. I had at least 20 routers in range at a time. A very long list on my wife's MB.

I'm looking through my Airport Utility now to jog my memory.

12. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

What kind of router are you trying to set up the WDS on your Airport express to connect to? I have two Airport express and an Airport Extreme. I have my Slingbox hooked up to one of the Airport Express via a WDS (using an ethernet cable) and could potentially hook my Xbox 360 up to the other one.

With the Airport Extreme an airport ID must be issued by the WDS main and another by the Airport Express.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hmm. I remember having problems with getting WEP to work (my wife's old computer had an old wireless card). Once she got a MacBook WPA was obviously my first option and it worked perfectly (thank you passwords instead of garbage Hex keys).

My current router settings are:
    SSID: broadcasting, yes

WPA-PSK (Passkey)
    *Custom Pass phrase

Wireless Mode: b/g

Try having your router broadcast your SSID if it isn't. I had trouble getting it to find it when it wasn't broadcasting.

14. rglatter thread starter macrumors regular

I dont have an airport extreme, I have a wrt54g running the DD-WRT firmware. I would also prefer not to run it in WEP mode which apparently that is required for the dd-wrt firmware, I also saw that it doesnt work with my version of the firmware, based on my hardware.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

For WDS yes (which is crap). Client mode should work for you though in WPA.

16. rglatter thread starter macrumors regular

I just ran through it a couple of times,

I changed my wifi to regular WPA from WPA2

So I set it up WPA using my passphrase, set it to join my existing network, and turned on the airtunes in manual setup. It didnt work.

Thanks a lot for your help.

17. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I could never get my APX to work with my 2Wire router without completely disabling security. I spent a couple hours on it, trying different configurations, and I finally gave up and bought a AEBS. Set up took a minute or two :rolleyes:

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's funny because mine is connected to a 2wire wireless router with WPA right now.