Airport Express - Airtunes, poor streaming

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kdawg, Oct 16, 2007.

1. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

The setup.
    I have broadband internet,
    My Broadband modem is connected to a Lynksys Wireless USB B/G Router. In my living room I have an airport express connected to my stereo. I am using WEP 128 bit encryption.

My issue as of late:

I decided to make a kitchen computer. On an old dell box. I installed XP and a USB wireless adapter. I want to stream to the living room, but the quality sux. A song plays for 10 seconds, then it stops for like 3 and plays for another 10 and stops and starts and stops and start.

I have made sure that I have the latest firmware on the airport express, and my router, The latest drivers on the wireless USB. But nothing seems to fix this problem.

Any ideas as to why the quality of my streaming sucks?
    Thanks for taking the time to help

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

I had two Linksys routers and I gave one away for free, and kicked the other one to the curb. Literally. Kicked it out the door until it was in pieces. I had no end of problems with the units on their own and flakey performance with the Airport Express setup as a WDS unit. I wonder if its not just itunes streaming performance, but all traffic that is an issue for you. You may not notice surfing or other broken traffic, but streaming will certainly show it.

I replaced the Linksys with a Netgear and ultimately an Airport Extreme and never looked back. Its been rock solid since. If purchasing a new unit is out of the question, start looking at your signal quality, interference, channels, etc.