airport express (airtunes) question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ANDYMILLMAN, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ANDYMILLMAN macrumors member

Hi guys,

Just a quick question for all those that own an airport express plug in thingie..

I am a windows pc user....

we have a wireless router set up in the house ..my pc connects directly to the router via ethernet...

the other 2 laptops in the house connect wirelessly...

I have a shiny new 3g iphone ...and can use i-remote to play any song on any pc connected to the networkm, using my phone as the remote without a hitch...

I have a tv in the living room connected to an amp and some floorstanding speakers...

I would plan on plugging the airport in behind the tv and then connecting the airport to my amp via a mini jack to phono cable... in an attempt to use iremote to play songs from all pcs in the house through the amp and speakers....

my question is...would i have to have an ethernet cable plugged into the airport plug at all times in order to perform this ....or do u only need to plug the ethernet during inital setup ?

The only reason i ask , is because the wireless router is currently plugged in another room...

Any help would be appreciated?

Cheers in advance..

2. Daniel.steel macrumors member

Airport

Andy,

You might find this helpful.

http://unfound.org/airport_linksys.html

sometimes though you will have a mutiny on your hands with xp and airport.

Went into the genius bar :apple: and talked about xp and aiport and his reply was " You having a Laugh " :D

3. ANDYMILLMAN thread starter macrumors member

haha cheers mate, Im on Vista though...i dont suppose that makes much difference :)

and im on a netgear router :)

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You can do what you're talking about. I originally had my Expresses set up that way with no problems. The article Daniel linked to would be useful if you wanted to use the Express to extend the Linksys's wireless network, but that's not what you want it to do.
    For initial setup the easiest thing will be to connect it to your router via ethernet. Then in Airport Admin you can go in and turn off DHCP and put it in client mode, give it the same SSID as your currrent wireless network as well as whatever WPA settings you are using. (I hope you're using WPA instead of WEP)
    After you're done you should reboot and disconnect the ethernet and it should have no problems getting on your current wireless network. Then it will show up in iTunes on any computer (Mac or PC) on the network.
    I'd give more explicit step-by-step info, but I'm at work and away from my home network right now.