AirPort Express Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mailerdaemon, May 25, 2009.

1. mailerdaemon macrumors member

Lads,

There seems to be a billion threads on the Airport Express but I didn't see any relating to alternatives to them. I've had nothing but problems with my AirPort Express, so I'm wondering if there is an alternative for me??

I use it (and need it) for:

- AirTunes (optical)
    - To extend my 5GHz 'n' network.
    - PS3 network connection

Is there anything else out there that will do these 3 things for me?

Just as a bit of history (not that it really has anything to do with this thread)... my Express has already been fixed under warranty once before (took forever) and has now died again only 2 months later. I only get a couple of months of trouble free operation from the thing before it decides to restart itself more and more often. The problem always first appears when using it hard (video streaming) and progressively gets worse and more frequent from there until eventually it wont boot at all (even after being left to cool and reset). The thing gets stupidly hot IMO, so I wouldn't be surprised if that has some bearing.

Kinda sucks that the Extreme wont AirTune. Stupid really. I've had no trouble with my Extreme (touch wood) - I've noticed that it doesn't get nearly as hot as the Express.

Anyway... even though my Express still has heaps of warranty, I don't particularly want half a network again while it's "fixed".... so, will anything else do AirTunes (optical), extend my 5GHz n network, and give me a network port? I believe that AppleTV may do this (?) but I don't want to go for that.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

u do know that air tunes is only an apple thing.

3. mailerdaemon thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I thought it was a long shot but worth the noob question. :D

I can stream the music to my PS3 (and into the stereo from there) but it's just not the same having to use the TV, and the PS3 media server's pretty flakey too.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

what kind of problems did you have with the express? I have mine just setup just to use it for AirTunes and works great. I have an Extreme for my main base however.

5. mailerdaemon thread starter macrumors member

The problems that I have are all in my first post above.

I also use an Extreme as the main device.