airport express amplify others signal?

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
basicly i get a weak signal from someone at my work and was wondering if i just plugged in a airport express base station, would I get a better signal? Or would I have to sinc it with their router or something?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
We'll need to know more about your setup and the other wireless network to tell you more. However, generally an AirPort Express can only extend the range of an AirPort network. If you have permission to use this other network then find out the router being used and we'll hopefully be able to recommend a range extender. Oh, and the range extender will definitely have to join the network. :)

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I work in a mall and dont really know where its coming from but i just barely pick it up unless i walk to the corner of my store and then its fine. i was hoping that i could just plug in my airport and have it boost the signal. i guess i will just give it a shot today.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
What's the name of the wireless network? Do you have permission to use it? You could ask the owner of the network.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, find the owner of the network and ask their permission. If they let you use it, find out what brand of router they use. Getting an extender from the same brand is usually a good idea to ensure compatibility.