airport express amplify others signal?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevo8, Jul 18, 2007.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

basicly i get a weak signal from someone at my work and was wondering if i just plugged in a airport express base station, would I get a better signal? Or would I have to sinc it with their router or something?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

We'll need to know more about your setup and the other wireless network to tell you more. However, generally an AirPort Express can only extend the range of an AirPort network. If you have permission to use this other network then find out the router being used and we'll hopefully be able to recommend a range extender. Oh, and the range extender will definitely have to join the network. :)

3. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I work in a mall and dont really know where its coming from but i just barely pick it up unless i walk to the corner of my store and then its fine. i was hoping that i could just plug in my airport and have it boost the signal. i guess i will just give it a shot today.

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

What's the name of the wireless network? Do you have permission to use it? You could ask the owner of the network.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, find the owner of the network and ask their permission. If they let you use it, find out what brand of router they use. Getting an extender from the same brand is usually a good idea to ensure compatibility.