Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smellyjw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Hi guys,
I have a MacBook running 10.5.5 and also a 3 usb internet dongle.

Because of coverage I have a lot of trouble moving freely about my home without going out of range or getting disconnected. As there are two rather good connection points near the windows I end up sitting there most of the night.

Is it possible to get an Airport Express and plug the 3 usb dongle into it and leave it near the window? Would it work? - As I know the dongle needs power, but I'm presuming that the plugging it into a power socket would do that??

Just wondering whether anyone could let me know. I have looked into wireless usb hubs (belkins F5U303 and Iogears GUWH104Kit - but apparently the Iogear one doesnt work on a mac).

Thanks to anyone who can help.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
nope
the usb port on the express is only for a printer or a remote for itunes. (or charging an iphone/ipod in a pinch)

and on the extreme, you add hard drive functionality and loose the remote for itunes.

smellyjw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Thanks for letting me know. I had a feeling this was the case, but hoped that it might have worked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.