Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
mactastic said:
Here's my question though... Will the AE work just as nicely if I plug it into one of the ports on a 4 port Lynksis? IOW, can it function as a wireless gateway on a pre-existing network also, or does it need to be the router?

I need to know this as well. I have my office upstairs, but the videogames are downstairs on the opposite end of the house. Could I hook my stuff up like this?

Cable into modem
Ethernet into router (D-Link 604)
LAN ethernet into AExpress
Xbox, PS2 into router
computers use AExpress

Will this work? IOW, can I rout the connection BEFORE hooking up the AExpress, or will the computers be too slow?

johng723

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2004
California
Actually, at my parent's house I set up the network in a similar way. I have the cable modem connecting to a D-Link router and then I have a linksys wireless access point connected to the LAN router and it just work without having to set it up. I only did it this way because I was too lazy to disconnect the d-link router and just use the linksys one by itself. :p

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
redAPPLE said:
i just hope Apple will have a lot of this in stock. i haven't ordered any yet. i am not sure why not. because i'd like to pick it up personally in an Apple Store?

please let not this be another iPod Mini fiasco.

Apple probably doesn't have any in stock since they said they won't ship them until next month. This gadget is not exclusively tied to one novelty component like the mini is with its diminutive hard drive. I don't see why there'd be a problem. Apple is using a new form factor with the addition of the audio hardware. Different, but not exclusive. It probably shares some of its guts with the AE base station and the iPod.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
osprey76 said:
Apple probably doesn't have any in stock since they said they won't ship them until next month. This gadget is not exclusively tied to one novelty component like the mini is with its diminutive hard drive. I don't see why there'd be a problem. Apple is using a new form factor with the addition of the audio hardware. Different, but not exclusive. It probably shares some of its guts with the AE base station and the iPod.

There are already warning remarks on Apple Australia's site which suggest to me that stock may not be available when its released in the US...

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
use it for a wireless bridge?

From the specs I can see that it has a ethernet port on it. I have an APX basestation downstairs and I want to connect it to a Playstation2 upstairs. Will I be able to connect an ethernet cable from the Airport extreme into the back of the Playstation for internet access??

aussie_geek

johng723

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2004
California
printer server

does it say anywhere whether or not the print server part of the express will work with any existing wireless network, apple or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.