Airport Express and AirTunes, BAD SOUND

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mike3847, Oct 30, 2008.

1. mike3847 macrumors newbie

I just bought an Airport Express, and some Bose computer speakers. I know the speakers sound great when hooked up to audio source, and my Airport Express is connected fine. BUT, when I connect the speakers to the Airport Express, The sound is not right. For some reason, there are slight fluctuations with the volume. It's like someone is playing with the volume know up and down, but slightly. Just enough to drive me nuts! It can't be the signal strength, because it does it when the Airport Express is 5 feet away from the Airport Extreme Base. I don't know what else it could be. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

my only suggestion would be to check the audio connection between the express and your speakers. The signal to the express is digital, so it should cut out entirely not just drop volume.

try unplugging and plugging the audio connection quickly a couple times, might free something up.

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I've never experienced any problems with AirTunes. What version of iTunes are you running? Are you running an optical or analogue cable from the Airport Express to your receiver?

Plug in headphones to the Airport Express and see if the problem persists.

4. mike3847 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just have Bose computer speakers without a receiver. They are connected to the AEX by standard audio cable, not optical. I have not tried the headphone jack, but I will as it would help narrow down the problem. Like I said, I know the speakers are good, and I know it's a good signal to the AEX, so I didn't know if there were any special things to look for during setup or not. Just did the normal setup, didn't check the box to extend the range or whatever that was about.