Airport express and BTHomehub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacCobbler, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MacCobbler macrumors newbie

I apologise if this has already been posted but I have searched for a definitive answer to this question and I'm still at a bit of a loss.

I have a G5 upstairs whose iTunes library I'd like to stream to my hifi downstairs. Airport Express seems to be the answer, but will it work with my existing BTHomehub network (I do not have an Airport base station)?

Luckily, the Airport Express would be plugged in very close to the Homehub so I could connect it via cat 5 to the ethernet port. I've read that there are issues with certain routers when connecting an AE wirelessly - will connecting it via ethernet eradicate any problems?

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. GeoffShoulders macrumors newbie

Yes, it wil work

Hi.

Yes, it will work wirelessly for Airtunes.

I've been using an Express with my hub for years, hooked up to my stereo in the lounge and it's been perfect. Have just upgraded to 802.11n version because I bought a Time Capsule too.

Cheers,

GeoffShoulders

3. MacCobbler thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, thanks Geoff. And I presume you didnt have to do any kind of workaround-type fiddling to get it working?

4. MacCobbler thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

6. MacCobbler thread starter macrumors newbie

Slight over-exaggeration. Sorry, bit of a habit of mine.

They are expensive, though ;)

7. C8XY macrumors 6502

Similar question

Sorry to hijack but my question is so similar its not worth a new thread!!

Now, i use a Sky netgear router which i use with Xbox 360 (wired) and Mac (wireless) and a couple of iPhones (obviously wireless!) and ive just purchased THIS to stream music to my audio system.
    I want to take advantage of the 802.11n of the AirPort...
    Can i connect the AirPort to one of the spare ports on the netgear, then get the Mac and phones to connect to the AirPort? (ignoring the netgear)
    If so, how?
    The xbox shouldnt be affected, i basically dont need the wireless part of the sky router... Is this possible?

Thanks.......

8. GeoffShoulders macrumors newbie

Nope. Worked straight out of the box.

Which is more than I can say for trying to get a b/g version and the new n version talking to my Time Capsule! :-(

But it was a doddle and many a post-pub evening has been spent passing the laptop for wireless iTunes shuffling.

GeoffShoulders