Airport Express and its purpose

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thunderboltedge, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Hello,

The thread is meant to well understand the purpose of the Airport Express sold by Apple.

Does it refer to extending the wifi range of your existing connection (weather you have apple devices or windows) or its function is not really this?

I was looking for a sort of wifi extender to apply to my router, I read this one does also this, but my question is:

Is it its real purpose or not?

Does it work in the way I pictured it? So adding to an existing router to amplify the strength of you connection?

Any recommendation?

Thanks

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

The AirPort Express is essentially an Apple router. It serves the same purpose as your current router does, with perhaps some other nice functionality.

If you would like to extend your WiFi range, I'd suggest that you buy a dedicated access point - you just hook it up to your current router (or set it up as a repeater) and it'll extend your coverage.

I'd recommend the Ubiquiti Unifi myself - http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

You can configure it using an application that you run on your Mac and then from there it'll run standalone without any issues. I've got 2 of them in my house currently and the coverage is fantastic. The long range Unifi has a range of around 600 feet.

3. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Thanks Joel.
    Clear and concise.
    I tried few months ago with Netgear, at the end I had to send it back as I could not set the parameters and make it work with my router.
    I have a look at the one you recommend and if it is available also in Europe.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The Airport Express (AE) can be used as :

- a router wifi, or :
    - a wifi access point (1), or :
    - a wifi extender (2), or :
    - a wifi client

(1) the AE is connected to the main router via Ethernet.

(2) an AE can only extend the wireless network of another Apple device (won't work with an ISP provided device)

The AE supports Airplay.