Airport Express and printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aspen, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Aspen macrumors member

I have a wireless network setup with iMac and MBP. Printer is hardwired to the iMac.

Using a separate MBP and printing, I have to make sure the iMac is on and awake. I have a different printer (multifunction with fax etc.) that is not wireless compatible but does have USB. Somewhere I've heard that an Airport Express can be attached via USB to the multifunction printer and somehow integrated with the 2nd MBP. That way, the iMac wouldn't have to be on to print thus bypassing the wireless network.

Is that true? What are the basics of the setup?

Thanks.

2. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

It's very easy. I have a Brother (non wireless) printer and it's attached to an older gen AirPort Express...the AirPort Express is connected via ethernet and the wireless connection is disabled.

I can print from any computer. With Mountain Lion it's super easy to find the driver and also start using it, it's pretty much automatic.

If you want to use Windows, you need to download the Windows Bonjour drivers and then find the drivers, so it definitely does take a bit longer for Windows, but it works fine.