Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
My family is going on vacation with two other families to a resort in mexico this summer. The resort has wifi for each suit however only one user can be connected at a time and its $60 for the week to use. I was wondering if i bring my airport express to the resort and have it join the resorts network can i then connect multiple users if they connect to the airport express.

if this wouldnt work, is there away to connect multiple users through a device or something.

thanks!!!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
No telling how 'intelligent' an enterprise network is until you try it. Some networks block routers from connecting and acting as a bridge. You can do this with a laptop though. On a Mac it's in your Sharing settings under Internet Sharing. On Windows it's a bit more complicated but it's called Internet Connection Sharing/bridging.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
No telling how 'intelligent' an enterprise network is until you try it. Some networks block routers from connecting and acting as a bridge. You can do this with a laptop though. On a Mac it's in your Sharing settings under Internet Sharing. On Windows it's a bit more complicated but it's called Internet Connection Sharing/bridging.

i guess i will have to wait and see. i wish they allowed more than one device to be connected at a time for $60 a week. maybe if the router is out i can connect via ethernet to it and have my router act as a base station.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
i know this is a little old but we are leaving tomorrow and i did a test run while i am home of something i found on apples forums.

airport express joins network wirelessly. connect airport extreme to airport express through an ethernet cable. airport extreme sends out wireless signal for up to 50 people and host network only sees one device(the airport express).

i did it at my house using our u verse router acting as the hotels network and it worked. about 5 min to setup. now as long as the resorts access key can act as a password for the airport express to join the network all should work. i will post back when i get home whether this worked so others may want to use it.

turfmate1

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
You could also use the internet sharing feature on your MBP. It allows you to use your MBP as a router to share the ethernet connection from the resort. You can name and password protect the network. Anyone with a wifi enabled device and password can access the network. You would just have to leave the MBP running the whole trip.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
You could also use the internet sharing feature on your MBP. It allows you to use your MBP as a router to share the ethernet connection from the resort. You can name and password protect the network. Anyone with a wifi enabled device and password can access the network. You would just have to leave the MBP running the whole trip.

thats my backup if the resort has ethernet. as of now i only know that they have wifi. i don't mind it running because i am only bringing it to setup the airport devices. ill use my iPad most of the time. :)

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
thats my backup if the resort has ethernet. as of now i only know that they have wifi. i don't mind it running because i am only bringing it to setup the airport devices. ill use my iPad most of the time. :)

sorry. i forget to post back but another thread made me remember. i had the express join the resorts network, typed in the username and password and it logged the express in. then i used an ethernet cable to hardwire the extreme which i used to act as the router for all other devices. the resort only saw the express and i was on. so if anybody goes away and you have a restriction like this and two airports this will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.