Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I'm thinking about getting airport express and I want to know what i need in order to use the airport express with my sound system. It's a 500W Onkyo.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I've connected my Airport Express to my ONKYO TXDS484, using an ordinary analog mini-jack to phono cord... works fine... But I think you get even better sound if you use the optional Monster Cable...

I have the HT-R510. Could your repost the link to the cables/connector i need. The link you posted doesn't work. How much is it going to cost for me to get it hooked up so i could use it wirelessly?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
JzzTrump22 said:
I have the HT-R510. Could your repost the link to the cables/connector i need. The link you posted doesn't work. How much is it going to cost for me to get it hooked up so i could use it wirelessly?
Besides the Airport Express an ordinary mini-to-RCA cable should not cost you more than a few dollars... (Here's a $19.90 version, but I think you can find cheaper ones, Monster doesn't actually seem like a cheap brand... ;))

The AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cables I'm trying to link to is $39,-...

Now, let's see if that link doesn't work, Apple has probably changed it's site structure again, because I had a way of linking into products withoout getting those sessions issues... :rolleyes:

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Though this may seem obvious, you also need to have an airport card installed in you computer. I did not realize this when I purchased the Airport Express. I thought I could stream the music through my wireless router which is connected to via ethernet to my G5. I did not feel like spending another $80 so I returned the Airport Express.

If anyone knows how to use the Express without an Airport card, I would love to be enlightened on the subject.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Fender2112 said:
Though this may seem obvious, you also need to have an airport card installed in you computer. I did not realize this when I purchased the Airport Express. I thought I could stream the music through my wireless router which is connected to via ethernet to my G5. I did not feel like spending another $80 so I returned the Airport Express.

If anyone knows how to use the Express without an Airport card, I would love to be enlightened on the subject.
Good tip. I didn't think that a problem here, though... Didn't all Rev C PowerBooks come with Airport Extreme built-in...?

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
New York
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Good tip. I didn't think that a problem here, though... Didn't all Rev C PowerBooks come with Airport Extreme built-in...?

I have an airport card with my machine. I don't remember if it was standard on all Rev. C models. But thanks for the links.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.