Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Face Greg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I know this topic must have been created for the thousandth time, but I haven't found anything that can help me yet.

My Setup: I have an xbox 360 in my room (with USB wireless adapter), and my airport express is located downstairs with my mac (with airport card). However the signal is too weak to connect for a long period of time to play online.

I therefore have ordered another Airport Express (for my room) to somehow boost the signal.

Can anyone tell me how to set this up so that I have a strong signal; or, either, can I plug my 360 into the new airport express via cat-5 cable?

Thanks for any help.

George

Face Greg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I was just making sure my express in my room could connect my 360 to my express downstairs.

Does it work both wired and wirelessly?

Thanks for the help.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I am not having any problems with mine.

Wow, what a helpful response :rolleyes:

To the OP:

You can use a second airport express as a wireless bridge to extend the range of your first one. Just place the second one in a good intermediate location between your first airport express and xbox 360. Also, when you set up the second one you'll have to set it up as extending the range of your current network, not simply making its own new one as it will be configured out of the box. It's easy though, all done through Airport Utility.

Face Greg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Thanks for the help. :)

I had a look at Airport utility.
All I have is one question: Do I make the Airport Express a remote or rely station?

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Thanks for the help. :)

I had a look at Airport utility.
All I have is one question: Do I make the Airport Express a remote or rely station?

Did you buy the second express yet? Just because you might be having an interference problem that's causing your bad connections. Unless you live in a castle, your airport signal should be able to reach between rooms. Did you try changing the channel on the Airport?

Face Greg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I have ordered the Airport, should be here Monday.

I have tried everything to improve the signal e.g. changed channels, used a sieve under the airport + by my 360, attempted to make pringle parabola etc.

I think the reason for my bad signal is that the express is in the corner of a room (on the other side of the house to 360) surrounded by machinery, wood and walls. Unfortunately due to certain restrictions I can't move it around much. That is why I bought another Airport express.

Thanks for help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.