Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
I got an airport express for Christmas, and there's a small problem. When I try to ply a song w/ my TiBook to the airport express, the song keeps stopping and starting. If I play the same song on my iMac to the AirPort Express it plays perfectly. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Chubypig said:
I got an airport express for Christmas, and there's a small problem. When I try to ply a song w/ my TiBook to the airport express, the song keeps stopping and starting. If I play the same song on my iMac to the AirPort Express it plays perfectly. Anyone know what might be causing this?

Is the Airport Signal ok on the PowerBook?

Wireless signal strength isn't one of the TiBooks best qualities

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
You could try changing Airport Express and the Tibook to another channel and test the signal strength. It may be that their is to many users in your area already on that channel.

:cool:

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
your iMac has extreme or normal airportspeeds?

because if that is extreme that will make a difference, and maybe you schould try something with the buffer in iTunes... don't know if it works, just a suggestion.

my G5 is extreme off course and my airtunes work fine... I used to have an Ti-Pb and I do remember it not being so great at wireless... but it worked (my iTunes library was on the network on my old B&W and it streamed to the iTunes on my Pb (before Airport Express that was a good alternative) and I remember I did set the buffer on highest and had no delay in playback...

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Westside guy said:
Well, I suspected it might be the slower 802.11b Airport card in the TiBook, and with Google's help I found this MacFixit article.

Basic solution appears to be to set your Airport Express to 802.11b-only mode.

I can't seem to change the settings. The AirPort Express is not the base station. It's connected to my Linksys wireless network. I don't have the option to change the settings of the AirPort Express' 802.11b/g, at least not that I can see...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Chubypig said:
I can't seem to change the settings. The AirPort Express is not the base station. It's connected to my Linksys wireless network. I don't have the option to change the settings of the AirPort Express' 802.11b/g, at least not that I can see...

I'm assuming you have tried using the Airport Admin Utility, which is found in your Utilities folder?

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Westside guy said:
I'm assuming you have tried using the Airport Admin Utility, which is found in your Utilities folder?
yeah it shows this screen:

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 66

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
this is what I get on my AirportExpress...

but mine has been set up as router...

*edit*
yes I just checked and when you don't choose: setup as router... you can't choose iwhc type fo wireless...

Is your linksys needed in your home, can't you just replace it with the Airport as I have done here at my home?

or is there a way you can do the opposite... let the Airport be the router and the linksys connecting to the Airport? not sure if it can work, just a thought...
*edit*

J

Attachments

• airport.jpg
    airport.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 70

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Well, the stereo is downstairs and all ethernet cables are upstairs so the only way is to have the linksys as the router. Do you think if i set the AE up as a router and put it on only 802.11b and then put it back and had the linsys as the router that the settings would stick?

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Not totally helpful, but...

Chubypig said:

I know you have a linksys in the mix, but I had the same problem between two Airport Express base stations and I fixed it by setting the system to 802.11b only and the music is coming out smooth as silk now. So, maybe you can set just the AEX to this and it would solve your problem.
Also, did anyone notice you can change the light to flash on activity only? That's so cool.
Now, if Apple would only allow more software to connect to the AEX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.