AirPort Express and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaioMaia, Mar 1, 2010.

1. CaioMaia macrumors newbie

Okay, I did a search so forgive me if this is a repeat question (if it is, Admins, please lock and point me to the correct thread).

I am wanting to do wireless backups with Time Machine. I already have it working wirely via USB with my WesternDigital My book Studio External Hard Drive 1TB, but recently I've purchased an AirPort Express. Searching, I realized it could not be possible to attach the HD directly to the AirPort Express, because it doesn't work.

However, I'm wondering if Time Machine would recognize it conected via Ethernet port with the Apple's USB Ethernet Adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB442Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTA4NDU1Njk). Does anyone know if it would work??

Thanks in advance!!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Instead of the adapter you linked to (which is for a computer), you need an adapter like this to make a regular external USB act like it's network enabled:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001FSCZO/metafilter-20/ref=nosim/

Even then, if your Airport Express is running your WiFi network, your high-speed Internet should be plugged into the only ethernet port on the Express, so there'd be no place to plug in this adapter via ethernet?

Or are you trying to join the Airport Express wirelessly to an already existing WiFi network?

3. CaioMaia thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.

I already have it conected to my WiFi network. I want only to conect the HD to the ethernet port, so I can try to use Time Machine wirelessly.

Would it be possible?!

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

It should be possible if you get an adapter like the one I linked to above.

Regular USB Ethernet adapter won't work.