Airport Express and utilities question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Galvatron, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Galvatron macrumors member

I was able to get my iTunes streaming to my airport express last night after much frustration. I have a question though. In order for me to stream music to my stereo I have to direct my airport utilities to the express manually, and when linked to it I lose my internet access. Is this the normal routine, or should I be able to do both at once and never have to manually switch the airport utilities?

After reading all the trouble people have had with the AE, I guess I should just be happy it's actually working. I started to question the purchase after some research.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

You should be able to do both at the same time
    I'm guessing you have an existing wireless network. When you manually connect to the express, you are leaving your existing network (which is connected to the internet), and joining the one created by the express, which is why you have no internet.

You need to set up the express to join the existing network.
    Just get to the station with airport utility, then click airport at the top, then wireless below that. set wireless mode to "join a wireless network" and put in the network name, and password.

or you can hardwire the express to the network, the easiest thing to do then would be to disable the wireless on the express.

3. Galvatron thread starter macrumors member

OK here's a problem. Help me figure it out. I'm on a D-link router. I have a PS3 and a PSP on the network. When I set my password I was using my PSP. I set a seven character password to my network. Now when airport utilities asks me for the wireless network password so I can join the airport express it requires an 8 character minimum password. But when I set the network password I only used seven characters. Without 8 characters, airport utilities wont even give me the option of trying to submit the password. Am I missing something?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008