Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirts60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
I have a customer that I need to VPN to (Address is 12.1.?.?). Their local address on their box that I need to telnet to once connected is 192.168.?.? My airport has the DHCP setting at the 10 option. I have also tried the 172 setting. In both cases (not the 192 option, it wont connect via VPN) I can connect via VPN BUT Telnet wont work. Yet (I am in the UK) if I connect directly into my XModem I have no problem. As soon as i connect the Airport I am unable to ftp or telnet the 192 address. Somewhere on the airport it is blocking me using 192 via my VPN connection. I am technically ok, but not an expert. I have googled all day and cannot find how to solve this problem.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Is this a PPTP connection? So the clients address is 12.1.x.x then their internal is 192.168.x.x Is the router doing the VPN on the client side? or is server based.

You local IPs are 10.10.x.x

If its not PPTP what client are you using? Can you ping once the connection is made?

It sounds like NAT-T issue.

mirts60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Thanks for the response.
Yes the clients address is 12.1.x.x and their internal is 192.168.x.x. I am using VPN Tracker 5 connecting via a Junipers Netscreen Configuration.

My local address via the Airport settiing is 10.10.x.x.

I cannot ping 192 once connected UNLESS I bypass airport and go direct via my modem. This confirms my problem is inside the airport setup. I saw 3 auto DHCP settings within airport. Both the 10 and 172 connect to the clients 12 address. The 192 auto DHCP setting wouldnt even do that (which made sense).

If I was running 192 locally I would fully understand the problem BUT I am not.

mirts60

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Thanks a lot for your help. I will investigate both your suggestions.!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.