Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrent89

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
*for the mods: this is in the OS X forum, but I think this might be more appropriate*

*this is cc'd from my apple support contact form*

I want it to provide a boost to the signal in the basement for my touch.

As well as stream music from my laptop. The issue Im having is that the music keeps on cutting out.

The newer one this is listed under is working fine, but on the other side of the room, it is setup to Extend the 'n' network (which I assume means allow my laptop better signal in the basement.)

The older one is on a b/g network, which I setup as a WDS network and then setup the express as a WDS relay, which I assumed would provide signal strength for the b/g network in the house ( so we are running b/g & n)

But setting it up as a relay it still loses connection with the laptop (im assuming this is with the b/g network itself) and I beleive that the touch's wifi connection also drops with the music, because it is all the b/g network..

The b/g network trickles into the basement, but I assumed with the b/g touch setup as a WDS Relay, that it would strengthen the signal for my touch and ALSO keep the signal strong between the laptop and the express (Im guessing they are talking over b/g)

but after being setup as a WDS relay the music is still dropping, and I only assume the touch's wifi signal is dropping as well!

Please help!!

I also had to setup the ENTIRE b/g network as WDS because I did not get an 'extend range signal'

jbrent89

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
i hate to bump my own thread, but here are some results:

I switched out the b/g express for the n one I have. (it was just connected to my ps3, which DOES have b/g wireless[not sure if it will have zero signal in my basement though, i will need to test this])

This is based on the assumption that the b/g one is beat-up from lots of neglect and me being a messy person... the n one is working PHENOMENALLY better, but it still has dropped, altho for a fraction of time compared to the b/g router...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.