airport express and wired router help

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I am trying to set up a network that is part wired part wireless
essentially the airport express would be plugged into the router to provide the wireless for two computers, and a third computer ( a PC) would be plugged directly into the router...
would this work? any comment/suggestions?

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I really don't need file sharing...
just get the PC and the iBooks online...
and to create a hotspot for anyone else with wireless...

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
I run a similar setup. i have two routers, 1 switch, and a airport express. everything is ok.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Leareth said:
I am trying to set up a network that is part wired part wireless
essentially the airport express would be plugged into the router to provide the wireless for two computers, and a third computer ( a PC) would be plugged directly into the router...
would this work? any comment/suggestions?
is there a reason you jsut don't get a wireless router. If you're just going to be using airport express to provide the wireless connection, it would be FAR cheaper to get a third aprty wireless router. Someone found a linksys one for 5 bucks after rebates the other day.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
strider42 said:
is there a reason you jsut don't get a wireless router. If you're just going to be using airport express to provide the wireless connection, it would be FAR cheaper to get a third aprty wireless router. Someone found a linksys one for 5 bucks after rebates the other day.

what if he wants to play music using airtunes through his airport express.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
superbovine said:
what if he wants to play music using airtunes through his airport express.
then there would be a good reason for it. But if not, he's just throwing away a hundred bucks.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
strider42 said:
then there would be a good reason for it. But if not, he's just throwing away a hundred bucks.
Agreed.

The AirPort Express is most useful when fully wireless as a tiny relay or bridge, or wired/wireless as an iTunes port. For example, one of mine is plugged into an almost inaccessible outlet and does a great job there in a spot a LinkSys wouldn't fit.

However, in almost any other case, a $60 LinkSys WRT54G (or similar item) works better and costs half as much.