Airport Express and Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joshua_msu, Nov 16, 2008.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Hello y'all. I have a fairly simple question. I was wondering if I can run an ethernet cable from the Xbox 360 to the the Airport Express in order to connect wirelessly to my router? I noticed that the Xbox 360 wireless adapter is only 802.11g/b and about the same price as the Airport express. Thanks.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, just set it to Join network, and check "allow ethernet clients". has to be the newer N version though. (released Feb 08)

i believe it will also work in WDS mode (haven't tried it), but if you don't need the range extension, it can harm your network speeds.

3. Jozone macrumors 6502

Can confirm this worked with my AE and 360 -- 802.11N version only (actually sold my G for just this reason)

4. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

What kind of security do I want to use in order to protect my sharing network, and still be compatible? Thanks. Sorry, networked challenged here.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

depends on what your main router supports.

preferably WPA or WPA2 - anything from the last few years should support this.

WEP is easily broken. and will only keep the non-computer savvy neighbors off, but if some one has bad intentions, chances are they can break it.

the express pretty much supports anything your computer does.