Airport Express, Apple TV, and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by exi, Nov 5, 2015.

1. exi macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2012
    As far as networking gear, I currently have a Time Capsule, Airport Express, and a new Apple TV 4. I have a relatively simple in-home network consisting of a few wireless devices only.

The more I think about it: other than the optical out cable option to my soundbar, is there any real utility in leaving the Airport Express in place? I never took full advantage of it and purchased it originally for AirPlay to the soundbar No other devices have hard connections to it. With the Apple TV, I can simply play off my laptop which then goes to the soundbar via RCA cables.

Always up for simplifying. Not sure what use I have for the AE now, presuming I keep the ATV.
  2. satcomer macrumors 603

Feb 19, 2008
    The Finger Lakes Region
    Well you have to remember that 4K is a HUGE problem on wireless. So for 4K video make sure you use Ethernet to the streaming box!
  3. Weaselboy Moderator

Staff Member

Jan 23, 2005
    If you were just the Express for Airplay and you can now do that with the ATV4, I agree... I'm not seeing a reason to keep the Express.