Airport express as an extender?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jkaygraham, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jkaygraham macrumors newbie

Hello there , I'm thinking of buying an airport express as an extender for my home network (for the time being, later I will use it as my main router). My question is , if that is possible, I've heard that routers that do that , will cut the speed in half.Is that referring to the network speed ( as in 300/2 for wireless n ), or my actual speed , which should be about 12 mbps? Thanks so much!

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I've read this on here as well (somewhere). My understanding is if you hard wire the express you don't lose your wifi band width. If you don't have the cabling to do that I believe you can buy adapters for your power sockets to use your ring main as an extension. Not cheap though.

3. jkaygraham thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeaah, not looking into any hardwire extenders, I will have to do that wirelessly . Is it the network bandwidth I lose after all? Because that would be ok , my 12mbps connection is much lower than the halved speed of wireless n (150, abouts). Thanks.

4. harrisonw1998 macrumors regular

Using it as an extender will reduce your speed in the extended area only, but other factors besides the extender can reduce your speed everywhere like multiple computers etc...

5. jkaygraham thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems logical.So that would be my true speed that's decreased? Or the theoretical maximum of the wireless network(again, wifi n = 300mbps)? I did some more search, apparently the airport express can extend another mac router, but it doesn't say anything about other routers.I think the model we're using here is a dgn2000 by netgear.