airport Express as an extender?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DotCom2, Jun 24, 2009.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Can I use the AE as an extender to my already established wireless network and if so how does that work? I mean does it require to be hard wired to my router or does it connect wirelessly?
    Sorry, I really don't know much about this stuff and I'm just getting started.
    Because of my house configuration, I do not get a very good signal on the far side of my house so hubby said to get an extender.
    Would the AE work for that? Problem is that we can't run more cable from the router to an extender and I saw the AE and wondered if that could solve the cable problem.
    TIA
    :confused:

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah the Express can extend a wireless network either wireless or by wire. Of course doing it by wire is better but there are times where wireless is a must.

I would make it a lot easier if you have an Extreme or Time Capsule already setup as your main router.

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Yes, you can use it to extend your network. Pop in the AirPort Utility disk it come with and select "connect to my current wireless network"

4. Bluesky11 macrumors newbie

5. milk242 macrumors 6502a

You would have to setup WDS on your Airport Express which is tricky with non-apple routers and also non-apple routers don't seem to allow any security greater than WEP (don't know about apple routers).

6. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

ok I see you are all in agreement that I can indeed use the AE as an extender but are you all in agreement that I can do this wirelessly?

I'm willing to try this puppy with my current setup and if not, I'll have to convince hubby to get an AEBS so it will be easier.
    Also, I noticed in the info that is said it is not compatible with *ALL* carriers. Does anyone know if it works ok with Verizon FIOS?

7. auero macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure you need an airport extreme or time capsule to extend with an express. I know that my express says that this feature isn't allowed when I try it with my linksys.

The bottom of the website for the airport express has it noted I believe.